When it comes to lighting a retail setting, there are a few key factors to consider. First, you need to think about the type of products you're selling and which type of light will feature them the best. You’ll also need to think about the size of your space. If you have a small space, you'll need lighting that won't be too overpowering. If you have a large space, you'll need lighting that will evenly distribute light throughout the space. Budget is also an important factor. There are a variety of different lighting options available, so you'll need to find an option that fits your budget.
With these factors in mind, here are a few of the best types of lighting for retail settings:
- Track lighting: Track lighting is a great option for retail settings because it's versatile and easy to install. Track lighting can be used to highlight specific products or areas of your store.
- Downlighting: Downlighting is a great option for retail settings because it provides a soft, diffused light that is perfect for creating a comfortable and inviting atmosphere.
- Wall washing lights: Wall washing is a great option for retail settings because it can be used to create a dramatic and eye-catching effect. Wall washing can be used to highlight architectural features or to create a focal point in your store.
- Spotlighting: Spotlighting is a great option for retail settings because it can be used to highlight specific products or areas of your store. Spotlighting can also be used to create a sense of depth and dimension in your space.
These are just a few of the best types of lighting for retail settings. With so many different options available, you're sure to find the perfect lighting for your store.
Here are some additional tips for choosing the right lighting for your retail setting:
- Consider the mood you want to create. Do you want your store to feel bright and airy, or intimate and cozy? The type of lighting you choose can help to create the desired mood.
- Think about the products you're selling. Some products, such as food and clothing, need to be well-lit in order to show off their colors and textures. Other products, such as books and electronics, don't need as much light.
- Consider the size of your space. If you have a small space, you'll need to choose lighting that won't be too overpowering. If you have a large space, you'll need to choose lighting that will evenly distribute light throughout the space.
- Set a budget. Lighting can be an expensive investment, so it's important to set a budget before you start shopping.
Light Bulb Types to Consider
- Incandescent bulbs:Incandescent bulbs are the most common type of light bulb. They're relatively inexpensive and easy to find, but they're not very energy-efficient.
- Fluorescent bulbs: Fluorescent bulbs are more energy-efficient than incandescent bulbs, but they can be more expensive. They also produce a different type of light, which some people find to be harsh.
- LED bulbs: LED light bulbs are the most energy-efficient type of light bulb. They're also long-lasting and produce a natural light that is similar to sunlight.
Here is a little more info about each bulb type to help you make a more informed decision for your retail lighting project.
Incandescent bulbs are historically the most common type of light bulb. They work by heating a filament inside the bulb, which produces light. As we mentioned earlier, incandescents can be inexpensive in upfront costs, but they are not very energy efficient which will lead to more expenses for energy than other alternatives. They also have a relatively short lifespan, typically lasting around 1,000 hours, which means they will need more maintenance and upkeep.
Fluorescent bulbs work by passing an electric current through a gas, which produces ultraviolet light. The ultraviolet light then hits a phosphor coating on the inside of the bulb, which produces visible light. Fluorescent bulbs are more energy-efficient than incandescent bulbs, and they also have a longer lifespan, typically lasting around 10,000 hours. However, fluorescent bulbs can be more expensive than incandescent bulbs, and they can produce a different type of light, which some people find to be harsh. However, fluorescent bulbs are common and more suited to some retail industries such as tech, as well as health and beauty.
LED light bulbs work by passing an electric current through a semiconductor, which produces light. LED bulbs are the most energy-efficient type of light bulb, and they also have the longest lifespan, typically lasting around 25,000 hours. While LED lighting can be more expensive up front, it is becoming more affordable each year as LEDs are becoming an industry standard. They are now also available in a variety of shapes and sizes, providing flexibility for a variety of retail applications.
Which Type of Light Bulb is Right for You?
The best type of light bulb for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. If you're looking for the most energy-efficient and aesthetic option, LED lighting is the way to go. The industry you are in may also have a great impact on the type of lighting you choose, so keep this in mind when doing your research.
Still unsure what type of lighting is best for your retail business or just curious to learn more about the type of lighting supplies we provide? Shine Retrofits has a team of lighting experts who are ready to walk you through our industry-leading inventory of light fixtures. If you have a retail lighting project you need to tackle, we are here to help. Contact Shine Retrofits 6 am to 6 pm Mountain Standard Time, Monday through Friday at 1-800-983-1315 for assistance with your next retail lighting project.