A sconce is a type of light fixture that is mounted on a wall or ceiling. They are typically used to provide task lighting or ambient lighting in a room. Wall sconces can be used to create a variety of looks, from traditional to modern.
Types of Sconces
There are many different types of sconces available, each with its own unique look and feel. Although this type of lighting fixture is most commonly referred to as a ‘wall sconce’, it can be used in multiple different settings. Some of the most common types of sconce lighting include:
- Wall sconces: Wall sconces are the most common type of sconce lighting. They are typically mounted on the wall, either above or below eye level. Wall sconces can be used to provide task lighting for reading, writing, or other activities. They can also be used to provide ambient lighting in a room.
- Ceiling sconces: Ceiling sconces are mounted on the ceiling, typically above a doorway or other opening. Ceiling sconces are often used to provide ambient lighting in a room. They can also be used to highlight architectural features, such as crown molding or beams.
- Table sconces: Table sconces are small, freestanding sconces that can be placed on a table or other surface. Table sconces are often used to provide task lighting for reading, writing, or other activities. They can also be used to create a focal point in a room.
- Floor sconces: Floor sconces are tall, freestanding sconces that are typically placed on the floor. Floor sconces are often used to provide ambient lighting in a room. They can also be used to create a focal point in a room.
Choosing the Right Sconce for Your Project
When choosing wall sconces, there are a few factors to consider, such as:
- The style of your home: The style of your home will help you to determine the type of sconce that will look best. For example, if you have a traditional home, you may want to choose sconces with a classic look. If you have a modern home, you may want to choose sconces with a sleek, contemporary look.
- The size of your space: The size of your space will help you to determine the size and number of sconces that you need. For example, if you have a small space, you may only need one or two sconces. If you have a large space, you may need more sconces.
- The amount of light you need: The amount of light you need will help you to determine the wattage of the bulbs that you need in your sconces. For example, if you need a lot of light, you may need to choose sconces with brighter bulbs. If you only need a little light, you may be able to get away with sconces with dimmer bulbs.
- Your budget: Sconces can range in price from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars. It is important to set a budget before you start shopping so that you do not overspend.
Installing Sconce Light Fixtures
Installing sconce fixtures is relatively easy. Most sconces come with all of the necessary hardware and instructions. However, if you are not comfortable installing electrical fixtures, you may want to hire an electrician to do the job for you.
Care and Maintenance of Sconce Light Fixtures
Sconces are relatively low-maintenance. However, there are a few things that you can do to keep your sconces looking their best. Clean them by dusting the sconces regularly with a soft cloth. If the sconces have glass shades, clean the shades with glass cleaner. If the sconce fixtures have metal or wood finishes, polish them with a furniture polish.
Sconce lighting is a great way to add style and functionality to your home. With so many different types of wall sconces available, you are sure to find the perfect one for your needs.
Shine Retrofits is one of the industry’s leading suppliers of lighting supplies for commercial and residential buyers. If your next lighting project requires sconce light fixtures, our inventory includes a great selection of light fixtures from top manufacturers. If you have questions about wall sconces or our inventory selections, please contact one of our customer service representatives and we will be happy to help assist you in your buying journey. Contact us 6 am to 6 pm Mountain Standard Time, Monday through Friday by calling 1-800-983-1315.